THE LAYCOCK ORGAN AT ST. NICHOLAS
St. Nicholas Parish Church houses a rare John Laycock organ built in 1879. The organ is listed in the British Institute of Organ Studies Register of Historic Pipe Organs as being “an instrument of importance to the national heritage and one deserving careful preservation for the benefit of future generations”.
This Laycock organ is in full working order, having been restored in 1995, with partial assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund due to its significant historical importance. Successful Organ Recital evenings have been held in the Church for the benefit of the wider Community, and the organ has had visitors from many parts of the country.